How To Choose The Best Footwear For Your Children
Top tips for choosing the best shoes for your children’s feet.
Children can start walking anytime between 10 and 20 months of age. Every child is unique and develops at their own pace.
When they first start walking only use shoes when necessary, otherwise allow them to go barefoot or let them wear very soft shoes. This will give their little feet the chance to develop and help build their muscles.
It is also important to choose the right footwear for their growing feet. This can play a pivotal role in their development. Here are some of our top tips for helping to choose the best shoes for your children’s feet.
- Choose shoes with laces, velcro or a fastening system.
- Try and select shoes that are made from a canvas or leather so they can help keep children’s feet cool and dry plus avoid nasty blisters.
- Avoid heels for children. While they might like to dress up, save it for special occasions. Wearing heels too often can hinder proper foot development in children.
- Look for patterned or textured soles. This will avoid them from slipping and give them more grip and traction on different surfaces.
- Try shoes on in the afternoon as feet swell by the end of the day, giving you a more accurate size for your child.
- Most people have one foot longer than the other and children are no different. Make sure you go to a proper children’s shoe like Betts Kids where they can be properly measured up, then choose the size based on the larger foot.
It is important to address foot health issues early especially when it comes to our children. If you are concerned or want some advice about your child’s foot health and function then please contact us and book an appointment today.